At Miami Cancer Institute, we understand the physical challenges that can come with cancer treatment and how those impairments can affect your well-being. Our Physical Rehabilitation and Pain Management team focuses on finding treatments and services that can maximize your independence and provide the best quality of life possible.
Which physical conditions do you treat?
Our team can help you with many different physical side effects of cancer treatment, including:
- Bowel and bladder incontinence
- Body pain
- Weakness or decreased mobility
- Difficulty eating, swallowing, talking or opening your mouth (trismus)
- Balance or walking problems
- Swelling in the arms or legs (lymphedema)
- Neck problems
- Numbness, weakness or pain from chemotherapy (peripheral neuropathy)
- Shoulder problems
What physical rehabilitation and pain management services do you provide?
Miami Cancer Institute provides consultations for each patient to learn about his or her rehabilitation and pain management needs, which allows us to develop customized treatment plans. Our services include:
- Diagnostic testing with nerve conduction studies that help diagnose neuropathy
- Exercise classes to restore function, range of motion and conditioning
- Manual lymphatic draining for treatment of lymphedema
- Peripheral joint injections for pain
- Pelvic floor therapy for treatment of bowel and bladder incontinence
- Physical therapy to improve balance, strength and endurance
- Occupational therapy to help re-learn how to do daily activities
- Speech therapy for swallowing problems, cognitive issues or communication problems
Meet our Cancer Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Experts
Brain Fitness Lab
The goal of the Brain Fitness Lab at Miami Cancer Institute is to restore and prevent chemotherapy-induced cognitive impairment in cancer patients. Cognitive remediation training has a demonstrated benefit in restoring cognitive function in cancer survivors. The Cancer Patient Support Center developed the Brain Fitness Lab to provide customized cognitive remediation training with computerized brain-training protocols and neuropsychological interventions to restore and enhance cancer survivors’ cognitive and functional outcomes.
Receive Our Monthly E-Newsletter
Hear about the latest updates from our dedicated patient support team, learn about our services and sign up for the latest events.