- 1 lbs. red lentils, washed
- 4-6 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 cups yellow onion, brunoised
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, brunoised
- 2 cup celery, brunoised
- Half can tomato paste, low sodium
- 4 tbsp. fresh ginger juice
- 1 inch piece fresh turmeric, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp. madras curry powder
- 14.5 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 11/2 qtrs. water or veggie stock (plus more as needed)
DirectionsHeat olive oil in a Dutch oven and stir in the onions, celery, and garlic, Sauté till tender. Mix in the tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin and paprika. Mix in the lentils and tomatoes stirring well, now add the water and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes. It may be necessary to add more water or stock, mix in the carrots and continues cooking until carrots are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with brown rice, farro or your favorite grain! It's nice to top with an avocado and tomato salad tossed in olive oil and lime juice.
Upcoming Classes, Programs, and Events
Our clinical expertise and dedication to delivering compassionate cancer care is only part of the journey. At Miami Cancer Institute, we offer our patients and their loved ones a wide variety of educational programs including nutritional programs and support groups, in addition to countless public events taking place in and around our communities.