Makes 12 servings
For the turkey breast:
- 6 lb. Boneless Turkey Breast
- 4 cups diced Butternut squash
- 2 shallots – peeled and diced
- 1 red delicious apple – diced and place in some cold water
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 sprigs of fresh oregano – stemmed and chopped
- 4 slices of Natural Smoked Bacon (nitrate free) – cut into small square pieces
- ½ cup of Tequila
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach - defrosted
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped
- 2 cups cooked five grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil blend
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper – roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1 tablespoon red onion – diced
- 1 bay leave
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon annatto paste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Place a large sauté pan on the stove at medium high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the bacon and begin to render its fat.
- Once the bacon begins to crisp up, proceed to add the diced butternut squash.
- Sauté the butternut squash by stirring every 2 minutes until it is nicely brown all over. When the butternut squash has browned add the chopped shallots, chopped garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the diced apples, and add it to the butternut squash mixture along with the chopped spinach, dried cherries, chopped oregano and cooked five grain blend rice.
- Continue to cook it for about 2 more minutes and proceed to adding the tequila
- Season the mixture with a pinch of salt & black pepper, cook for 1 minute and place the butternut squash mixture on a Cookie Sheet to cool down.
- Remove the skin off the turkey breast
- Cut in half lengthwise from the skin side up, then slice in half from the side lengthwise down without going across from one side to the other.
- Set aside the split turkey breasts.
- Fold two pieces of triple folded plastic wrap. Place one of the turkey breast in between both sheets of plastic wrap.
- Use a mallet to pound the turkey breast evenly. Remove the top piece of plastic off the turkey breast and place half of the butternut squash mixture on the inner edge of the breast from top to bottom.
- Press mixture down onto the turkey breast so that its firm
- Grab the plastic wrap that’s under inner part of the turkey breast, begin to roll over the entire breast until it meets with the other edge.
- Secure entire breast firmly.
- Remove breast from the plastic wrap, cut in half and transfer each piece onto a piece of greased aluminum foil.
- Wrap the turkey breast in the aluminum foil and twist the ends tightly.
- Repeat the same process for the other pounded turkey breast as detailed in step 3 and 4.
- Now that pieces of breast have been filled with the butternut squash mixture and rolled it the aluminum foil, using a heated fry pan with a little oil.
- Sear the rolled breast by turning the rolls in the pan on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Place the fry pan with the rolls into a 400 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Place the rolls out of the pan and transfer them to a clean plate
- Using the same hot pan add all the ingredients listed in the ingredients section “for the sauce” and place it on the stove at medium heat.
- Bring the ingredients to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leave and transfer all the ingredients left in the pan, into a blender. Blend well until smooth.
- Remove the aluminum foil from the cooked turkey breast. Slice the turkey breast into 6 even pieces.
- Serve with some of the annatto red pepper sauce.
Serv. Size: 1 | Amount Per Serving: Calories 442 | Total Fat 6g | Sodium 758mg | Total Carb. 44g | Protein 52g
Upcoming Classes, Programs, and Events
Our clinical expertise and dedication to delivering compassionate cancer care is only part of the journey. At Miami Cancer Institute, we offer our patients and their loved ones a wide variety of educational programs including nutritional programs and support groups, in addition to countless public events taking place in and around our communities.