Makes 7 servings (or 7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ginger root – grated
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Zest of ½ a lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon olive canola oil blend
- 1 whole green bell pepper – seeded and diced small
- 1 mango – seeded, skinned, and diced small
- 1 cup of small diced seedless cucumber
- 2 cups semi ripe pineapple – skinned and small diced
- ½ small red onion – minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups low sodium canned black beans – rinsed
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 stems of mint with leaves – rinsed and chopped
- 8 cilantro stems with leaves – rinsed and chopped
- 1 semi-ripe Haas avocado – skinned, seeded, and medium diced
- In a mixing bowl add all ingredients except for the avocado. Mix ingredients well with a spoon or plastic kitchen spatula. Once all the ingredients have been mixed well, add the medium diced avocado and fold into the mixture.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and serve over protein of choice.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
QUINOA is considered a complete protein because it contains all 9 of the essential amino acids needed to build and repair our cells, tissues, bones, skin and muscles.
Bonus: This grain is also free of saturated fat and cholesterol that is found in animal proteins!
AVOCADOS are high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
Bonus: They also keep you feeling fuller, longer and is cholesterol free
Serv. Size: 1 cup | Amount Per Serving: Calories 228 | Total Fat 7g | Sat. Fat 1g |Trans Fat 0g | Cholest. 0mg |Sodium 342mg | Total Carb. 38g | Fiber 9g | Sugars 14g | Protein 7g | Calcium 45mg | Iron 2mg
Upcoming Classes, Programs, and Events
Our clinical expertise and dedication to delivering compassionate cancer care is only part of the journey. At Miami Cancer Institute, we offer our patients and their loved ones a wide variety of educational programs including nutritional programs and support groups, in addition to countless public events taking place in and around our communities.