The Benign Breast Clinic at Miami Cancer Institute diagnoses and treats patients who have experienced breast changes, breast pain and benign, or noncancerous, breast problems.
Doctors at the Benign Breast Clinic have special training in breast health and rely on support from Board-certified breast surgeons and specialized breast imagers, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
Patients referred to the clinic will receive a consultation or second opinion for the following breast concerns and others not involving breast cancer:
- Abnormal mammograms, ultrasounds or MRIs or other breast-imaging tests
- Breast lumps
- Breast cysts
- Breast pain
- Breast injury
- Nipple discharge
- Redness or scaling of the nipple
- Breast changes, including in the size or shape
- Strong family history of breast cancer in asymptomatic patients
- Males with abnormal breast enlargement and breast pain
- Patients with inconclusive breast imaging or clinical findings.
Common benign conditions of the breast we evaluate and treat include the following:
- Fibroadenomas - Benign tumors found in the female breast. They are usually painless and feel like round, rubbery, slippery lumps that move freely in the breast when pushed.
- Fibrocystic changes – Breast changes, including tenderness, lumps or thickening of breast tissue, related to menstrual cycle hormone levels.
- Breast cysts – Fluid-filled sacs that usually occur in both breasts and feel like a lumps.
- Gynecomastia – A condition that causes tender, enlarged breasts, often with a lump beneath the nipple, in boys and men.
We offer the following services:
- Personalized breast cancer risk assessment, including genetic education and counseling for individuals who meet certain criteria
- Physical exam, including a breast exam
- Breast imaging or screenings as needed
- Treatments that follow the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines, such as enhanced surveillance, lifestyle changes and risk-reducing medicines
- Nutritional, emotional and psychological support
If you’re experiencing breast problems, talk to your doctor about whether the Benign Breast Clinic may be helpful to you.
Cutting Edge Treatment In One Place
Miami Cancer Institute offers one of the world’s most comprehensive and advanced radiation oncology programs, including South Florida’s first proton therapy center. We are the only cancer center in the world to offer all of the latest radiation therapies in one place, which enables us to choose what treatment is right for you.